A CAMPSITE owner has criticised the road map out of lockdown, saying it “doesn’t make sense” and describing it as “absolutely ridiculous”.
William Grant, owner of Stonehenge Campsite and Glamping near Berwick St James, has been told the site can reopen in April, but they are not allowed to reopen the facility blocks.
Step 2 of the easing of government restrictions, which is from no earlier than April 12, will see the opening of non-essential retail, public buildings, indoor leisure facilities, most outdoor attractions and settings including outdoor hospitality venues, zoos, theme parks, and drive-in cinemas.
Self-contained accommodation such as campsites and holiday lets, where indoor facilities are not shared with other households, can also reopen.
The campsite will miss another Easter holiday of trade, and was looking forward to when it could reopen properly, but now it is unsure of when that actually may be.
They also don’t even know if they can accept people with their own toilet facilities from April 12, as they are unsure if they can allow people to share the chemical cleaning points.
During lockdown, the site has also been helping homeless people in-between properties, and they are now worried they may have to ask them to leave.
William said: “We are permitted to open on April 12, but we are not allowed to use our facility blocks, so for the people that we have assisted during the lockdown with stopping them from being homeless, what are we supposed to do if we have to close our facilities, just throw them out?”
‘It doesn’t make sense’
Campsite manager Jeff Bruce added: “It is absolutely ridiculous that we would have these restrictions, when on March 8 all children are going back to school and will be using shared facilities, hospitals where Covid is at the most are using shared facilities, and supermarkets where there can be around 5000-plus customers a day are using shared facilities.
“There has not been a single case of Covid at any campsite across the country over the last year. It just doesn’t make sense”.
William said: “The phones were so busy yesterday with people trying to book, but unless people come with a motorhome that has its own facilities, or bring a tent with a loo, they cant stay with us.
“We also have staff who are key workers, and yet they are also now being told they potentially cant use the facilities here”.
‘I am making further enquiries’
MP for Salisbury John Glen said: ““I am delighted that the government has announced a roadmap for guiding the country back to normal after the pandemic.
“Within the guidelines announced there will of course be further questions and points of clarification needed.
“I am aware of the specific concerns raised by Stonehenge Campsite and Glamping about facility blocks and am making further enquiries with ministerial colleagues.”
Get more Salisbury news.
Email email@example.com with your comments, pictures, letters and news stories.