Fisherton Street: Man admits deliberately driving at pedestrians

A serving soldier has admitted deliberately driving at pedestrians in Fisherton Street, after two people were hospitalised in the incident last month.

Cameron David Bailey, 25, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and two counts of causing grievous bodily harm.

Bailey, of Mooltan Barracks, Naini Tal Road, Tidworth, deliberately drove a car at a group of young people in the city centre on March 27.


Read more:


Two teenagers were hospitalised with non-life threatening injuries after being hit by the car he was driving.

He appeared before Salisbury Crown Court today (Friday April 22) to enter a plea.

Detective Constable Luke Taylor described the incident as “truly shocking”, and said that his actions “could easily have resulted in the death or serious injury of numerous people”.

He said: “Cameron Bailey deliberately drove his car at a group of young people, showing callous disregard for the consequences of his actions.

“His actions that evening could easily have resulted in the death or serious injury of numerous people  – as it was, two teenagers were struck and required hospital treatment for their injuries. 

“To make matters worse, Bailey failed to stop at the scene. This was a truly shocking incident and I am pleased to see him finally accept responsibility for what he did.”

At around 9.45pm on the evening in question, a blue Skoda Octavia was seen to be driven at a group of pedestrians who were on a pavement in Fisherton Street.

A man and a woman were hit by the car, which mounted the pavement before leaving the scene.

South Western Ambulance NHS Foundation Trust (SWASFT) sent two double-crewed land ambulances and a rapid response vehicle.

The two patients were taken by ambulance to hospital.

Bailey was arrested on the evening of the incident.

A police cordon was in place for most of the next day, from just after Water Lane to before North Street, as officers carried out their enquiries.

Speaking the day of the police cordon, Detective Inspector Dean Garvin said it is a “deeply concerning incident” and the injuries sustained “could have easily have been much, much worse”.

Bailey has been remanded in custody to appear for sentencing on May 27.

Get more Salisbury news

You can also like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date, as well as signing up for one of our newsletters.

If you want online news with fewer ads, unlimited access and reader rewards – plus a chance to support our local journalism – find out more about registering or a digital subscription.

Email newsdesk@salisburyjournal.co.uk with your comments, pictures, letters and news stories.

Salisbury Journal | News